Friday, March 09, 2007

Gates Of Righteousness

My Grandfather was in hospital thsi week. Thank God he is back home and Be"H on the mend. However, I wanted to relate what we saw on Purim at Shaarei Tzedek Hospital. I was there at 10:00 a.m. My wife and kids were at the hospital in the afternoon. All day, groups, individuals - dressed up, with guitars, delivering mishloach manot, visiting, people volunteering to read the Megilla - all day the hospital was flooded with many hundreds of do-gooders who came to offer some Purim cheer to those who were stuck in a hospital bed on a festive holiday.

Purim is usually quite a busy day during which one must make time to hear the Megilla, to make deliveries to friends and relatives, to have the seuda which takes a good part of the afternoon. On these days there is a tendency to self involvement.

But at the hospital, it just seemed like so many simple people, youth and adults of Jerusalem were just so kind and thoughtful, making space in their busy day to offer time to help those less fortunate.

פתחו לי שערי צדק אבוא בם אודה -ה
זה השער לה' צדיקים יבואו בו

The portal to God is one of kindness. May God bless all these special people.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dear Alex,

I have been reading and using your Melachim blog as a resource for teaching Melachim Bet (along with other members of the faculty of the Yeshiva HS I teach at), but I can't seem to find anything posted after October 2006. Did you ever finish? Is the blog somewhere else?

I would really appreciate it if you could send me an email- RAH@WYHS.NET