Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Advanced Theology (from a 5-year-old)


Today, I visited the Beit Midrash of Yeshivat Har Etzion with my five-year-old son. The parochet (curtain) of the Aron Kodesh (the ark) has a large colourful crown embroidered upon it. I pointed it out to my son, Hillel. And then, I asked him a question:

"Whose crown is it? Does it belong to God or the Torah?"

(… after all, we talk about כתר תורה and also, in Nusach Sephard, we say כתר יתנו לך ה' אלוקינו... so it could be either)

He replied with an almost disbelieving tone:

"Well, of course it is the Torah's! How could it be Hashem's crown? He doesn't even have a body!"

And then he continued:

"If Hashem had a crown, he would need to be in one place, but God is everywhere!"

I thought that was rather sophisticated theological deduction for a five year old!

It reminded me of the Rambam in Hilchot Yesodei Hatorah 1:7


רמב"ם הלכות יסודי התורה פרק א

ואילו היה היוצר גוף וגוייה היה לו קץ ותכלית שאי אפשר להיות גוף שאין לו קץ, וכל שיש לגופו קץ ותכלית יש לכחו קץ וסוף, ואלהינו ברוך שמו הואיל וכחו אין לו קץ ואינו פוסק שהרי הגלגל סובב תמיד, אין כחו כח גוף, והואיל ואינו גוף לא יארעו לו מאורעות הגופות כדי שיהא נחלק ונפרד מאחר,

No comments: